Monday, July 22, 2013

My Relationship With The Book of Mormon

This week was a bit of a difficult one!  We had appointments with investigators and some of them didn't show up!  However, we were blessed, nonetheless.  We went out and contacted and knocked on doors.  We did our part to invite others.  We knocked on a door this week of a Filipino woman who had just moved here about a month ago with her family. We were able to return later in the week to share a bit of the Restoration of the Gospel and to give her a Book of Mormon in her native language.  What a blessing it is to be able to reach languages from all over the world.  The Book of Mormon being translated so that all can come closer to Christ, learn of Him and His restored gospel.  We were able to get some new investigators and we are hoping that in the weeks to come, those new investigators will blossom into a more promising role.

As a missionary, you go through hard times.  You can have much success - family at home being blessed, learning a new language, new culture, learning yourself to a greater degree.  However, through all of it, there are still hardships that come. The only hardship I speak of is the let down that comes as people miss their appointments.  You have this amazing plan to teach people.  It gives guidance, assurance, peace, happiness, everything - but people forget about it because the business that life brings.  If we take a small portion of our day just to read, pray, and listen to the promptings we receive - life will be more simple, and more peaceful.

I know that this Restored Gospel is truth.  I know that miracles have not ceased to exist on this Earth.  I know that as we exercise faith and hope, greater things can come into fruition in our lives.  I am 2 chapters away from finishing the Book of Mormon again!  What a blessing it is.  The first time that I read the book, I was 15 years old in France.  One summer, we were there for a month visiting family, and I thought to myself "what can I do to fill my time?" I read the whole Book of Mormon that summer.  My 15-year old mind could not comprehend what it was even about.  I just knew I felt a spiritual strength and a desire to be better.  Since  that experience, I have read that book - I continue to read it.  Before my mission, I made a commitment to myself that I would read a portion of the book every day; whether it was a good day or a bad day.  It has brought consistency.  Now I find myself as a missionary, in Norway, inviting others to experience the same consistency and blessings that come from that book.  I know it is powerful.  I know it is true.  I am so grateful for it in my life and I hope that others will come to find the same happiness I have experienced through it.

I hope everyone has a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment