Monday, November 18, 2013

Reaching the Community

I would like to start by saying I'm grateful it's P-Day!  I have been so exhausted from the past week - but it's the most fulfilling exhaustion.  Sunday morning, I woke up thinking, "awesome, today is church so I get to rest a little by sitting in church".... then I realized we had our Mini-MTC planned for the youth that day.  No resting.  So we held the mini-MTC - showing the youth how they can help us on teaches, teaching them about the Gospel of Christ, and by helping them to do their own missionary work.  It was a little intimidating with so many youth there, but it was extremely satisfying to see everything unfold!  Stavanger has unbelievable examples of the youth here.  I love the opportunity to serve here!

During the course of the week, we were able to find a preacher from another church.  We were out contacting one night and I decided to contact a man who had his back turned to us.  I just felt that I needed to talk to him.  He was extremely positive and a preacher from another church.  He loved Christ and we were able to share the Book of Mormon, a second testament of Jesus Christ!  It's a book to help us grow in faith and understanding of Christ.  Perfect for this man!  We later met with him and he told us he'd read the book in 5 days - we shall see! We gave him the book in Amharic!  A very cool experience!
That same night we headed to the church to have another couple teaches.  The last teach we had was with a less-active man.  He hadn't been coming to church for years.  He really didn't know why it was important to believe in the Book of Mormon.  I was grateful to share my experiences of reading that book.  When I was 15 years old and read it for the first time (though I could not understand the depth of the stories), I felt a power about the book that I've never been able to deny.  I shared my experiences and many others.  It wasn't until I shared with him one of my go-to lines.  In the Bible it talks about from the mouth of 2 or 3 witnesses shall every word be established.  The Book of Mormon is a second witness of Jesus Christ.  He immediately said, "That's right!", rather excited.  He tried to follow up by saying that he still didn't have a belief in the book, but of course you're not going to believe it until you open yourself and experience it first hand!

We are making plans to start up our Norwegian language class on the 26th.  We've been putting flyers up around Stavanger to invite people to attend it.  At the conclusion, of the classes we will be sharing 15-minutes about the church.  We are also planning to introduce an idea to start a family history course here at the church.  My companion and I are really just having fun with the work.  We're doing all we can to invite people!

Speaking of invitations - we met an 18-year old kid on the street and asked him to come to church on Sunday.  He came!  We gave him a Book of Mormon.  He prayed out loud for the first time in front of people - he was so excited about it!  We'll be meeting with him soon!  Amazing experiences here in Stavanger - there are so many people to find and teach.  Missionary work is really just fun!

I hope everyone has a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment